Friday, August 18, 2006

John Kerry Gets the Hang of Blogging

Too bad John Kerry wasn't elected in 2004; our country would be on the right course by now. Kerry has a diary/blog on Daily Kos; here's some excerpts:
...once a primary is decided, we've got to stand up and be counted. In Connecticut, Democrats chose Ned Lamont, and we need to stand with Ned as he challenges the broken policy in Iraq. I mean really stand with him - put our money where our mouths are. No half hearted endorsements. It's gut check time for Democrats. Connecticut chose a Democrat who will go head to head with Don Rumsfeld and fight for a policy that makes Iraqis stand up for Iraq.

I spent a long time talking with Ned on the phone on Saturday. I was reminded what a small world this is. My Dad knew Ned Lamont when Ned was a young man and they shared a passion for the sea. My father was Greatest Generation tough, and he cared so much about America's role in the world. After volunteering to fly DC-3's during World War II, Dad was a foreign service officer because he knew America had to win the peace as effectively as we'd won the war. My father had misgivings about the Vietnam War even before I served. Knowing him and what he stood for, if my father was alive today, I know what he'd think of the foreign policy failure of this administration and the mess in Iraq. He'd want to see us change course, and he'd support the courage of guys like Ned Lamont who want to restore America's proper place leading the world and fixing the mess in Iraq.

(snip)

[Update] A few of you have asked if I will travel to Connecticut to campaign for Ned - the answer is yes, absolutely. We're scheduling a trip and I'm looking forward to it.

(snip)

Buffy Orpington asked about the wiretapping decision today. Today's decision proves one important thing: no one is above the law. We all know this administration is good at hiding the truth and spinning the politics and sorely lacking when it comes to making us safer in the world.

Next, Red Sox asked if he can count on me to work hard for other candidates this cycle - the answer is yes -- I'm not letting up, absolutely yes. I've already supported over 165 candidates across the country, from country chair to United States Senate races. And I mean support - we've raised or given away something like 10 M dollars....

John Kerry would have made a fine president. I can't imagine Bush doing anything other than going into his phony public relations mode trying to hide his right wing agenda; when's the last time Bush gave an honest answer to a real American? I mean someone who wasn't preselected to hear his phony speeches, etc? Can anyone imagine Bush on a computer? I can still remember his father not knowing what a price scanner was.

I'll take Kerry any day over Bush. Having said that, I confess that I share a bias of other voters of wanting to move on to other candidates in 2008 but I don't want to overlook Kerry. I won't count him out. I liked the way he wrote his post and then answered several people by using the *update* style so some of his key answers to comments are immediately visible. And I like that he's in the fight in the 2006 midterms. I notice that John Edwards is also in the fight. And so is Russ Feingold. Anyone else who is in the fight is going to have to be taken seriously in 2008. Even Al Gore who's in the fight in his own way on global warming. There's some good spirit this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home