Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Samuel Alito Confirmation Hearings

The Senate judiciary committee is saying the words but it's not certain it's fulfilling its obligation to offer the president advice and consent in real terms. I noticed this at Always Question:
Today he is saying that, as a judge, he doesn't "give heed" to his "personal views," but that he just interprets the law. Given that he will probably win the Senate's consent and sit on the Court I would really like to believe that. I would. Really. I would like to believe that a guy who came up representing the Iran-Contra administration could sit on the highest court in the country and give a fair hearing to arguments against... domestic spying?... civil rights of "suspected" terrorists?... malfeasance and fiscal improprieties by members of Congress and lobbyists?... and interpret the law fairly. I would also like to believe in Santa Claus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home