Friday, December 04, 2009

Why I Don't Read Murdoch's New York Post

Sometimes when you read Google News a headline catches your eye and you feel compelled to check it out. Former NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw was in an accident Friday afternoon. I didn't like the sensationalistic turn on some of the headlines but the Post surprised me by having what seemed a reasonable headline, "Tom Brokaw OK after Car Crash on Bruckner Expressway." So I thought I would check it out.

The Post writer, Kirsten Fleming, was doing fine until near the end of the story:
"Tom and Meredith are greatly saddened by this loss of life," said a flak for the newsman and his wife in a statement issued this afternoon.

Flak? I can see that in catty political commentary I suppose, but in a straight news story, particularly one that involved a tragedy? Somebody died in an accident immediately in front of the Brokaws and its lucky nothing happened to them too. No wonder the Post has a low reputation.

Actually, in retrospect I have other problems with the story but I'll let others who know the Post cover that. In this holiday season I hope drivers and writers slow down and think a bit—and please tie down those Christmas trees and loose cables.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home