Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sitemeter and the Perils of Blogging

Zeno of Halfway There wrote a post about his pseudonym, including two philosophers named Zeno, and other Zenos, including Nikki Zeno (with photo). In another post, he wrote an excellent piece about Dick Cheney and his FOX interviewer, Brit Hume. Check out his post on which of the two caused the number of visitors to his site to spike:
I was pretty pleased with myself. Dick Cheney had chosen to break his silence on the notorious hunting accident in Texas by speaking to Brit Hume on Fox News. It occurred to me that Hume was no stranger to speaking fluff to power. I had the evidence in my archives. (“Archives”: A fancy word for a cluttered home.) Brit's work as an apologist was in the pages of old computer club magazines from the 1980s that I had saved for no discernable good reason. I dug out the publications, found the articles, and drafted a blog post containing some juicy quotes from Hume himself. I uploaded my article and waited confidently for surfers of the blogosphere to stampede to my virtual door.
I suppose it's a little ridiculous that all one has to do to receive a spike in visitors is to incorporate words such as American Idol, Da Vinci Code, Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, karaoke, George Clooney, memes, new video games, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hawaii, Tahiti, lottery, alternative medicine, origami, Oscars or Jon Stewart, and your personal best just might be reached that day. Of course, no one will stay long if one doesn't actually say anything about those topics.

Ah, if just one reader will stay for ten minutes to read those trying to save our democracy or talk about foreign policy or, in Zeno's case, talking about Brit Hume or teaching young kids math.

What a world!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make a good point. The number of visitors has no relation to their interest in what I write. For every 5 visitors to my site 1 stays longer than 2 mins. 1 out of 10 stays over 5 mins. I have also come to realize that switching back in forth in topic matter, in my case politics, dogs, and puzzles, seems to really lower the length of stay - but raises the number of hits.

Good thing my blog with no purpose has no goal - well - not one based on popularity.

Let us know how many hits this post brought about.

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kmilyun, after a couple of days, there have been only a few hits; in fact, less than normal. Is that good news or bad news?

8:53 PM  
Blogger Zeno said...

It's still the case that no one is very interestd in my Brit Hume piece. However, I still get a couple of hits every day from someone who searches for "Nikki Zeno". I guess if I do more pin-ups the hits will follow. Since I write Halfway There just for kicks, I don't suppose I'll bother.

Thanks for the kind words.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home